Friday, January 11, 2013

Healthy Soup for the Soul

Hello! I am so excited to share this AMAZING recipe I just tried from the Ohsheglows website (FYI for those who don't know who Angela is, she writes an all vegan blog that caters to a number of food allergies).  As I am not a Vegan I usually adapt her recipes to fit my (and my husband's) meat eating ways but in this case I followed her recipe as written....and I must say it turned out beautifully.   It is a Butternut Squash soup with black beans and Quinoa with Lime and Cilantro used as garnishes.  Below is the recipe (which is fairly easy in comparison to past posts i.e. peppermint bark) I hope you enjoy! It is the perfect remedy to a cold winter's evening or a bad cold (it has a bunch of spices that will clear those sinuses right up!)

Photo c/o Ohsheglows.com

Ingredients:
1 cup Quinoa
1.5 cups water
6 cups Vegetable Broth
1 can Black Beans
2 cups butternut squash (changed from the original recipe which uses sweet potatoes)
Cilantro
2 Limes
1 Ripe Avocado
1 Sweet Onion
1 tbs. Garlic
Spinach (optional)
Cherry Tomatoes (optional)
1.5 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 Tsp. Ground Coriander

Directions: 

In a medium sized pot set at a medium heat, add the water and Quinoa and allow the mixture to come to a boil.  Then turn down the heat (about a simmer) and let cook for about 17 minutes with a lid on or until the Quinoa is fluffy and the water has been absorbed.
In another pan (I used a wok like pot) add the Garlic and sweet onion (I used about a cup of diced onion) and let sit until the onions have become translucent.  Next, add the cubed Butternut Squash (or Sweet Potato) and the Coriander, Cumin, and Chili Powder.  Allow to cook for about 5-8 minutes.  Next, add the vegetable broth and allow the mixture to heat through (or until the squash is tender). 
Once you are ready to serve the soup, add the black beans (make sure to strain them first) to the soup as well as the Quinoa.  You may also add the Cilantro and Lime according to your taste.

And this is my version, not as beautifully photographed but equally as delicious!!



No comments:

Post a Comment